Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ola !




I've been called paranoid. I'd prefer to call myself insightful. Sometimes, I think of things that would be considered a bit off. I had this thought, and I think I may be on to something...

I think we've all noticed our country going in the direction of becoming bilingual. There are Spanish words everywhere. Sesame Street has been using Spanish for a LONG time. Some of my daughters toys speak two languages. Every time I go to the ATM machine, I first have to select which language I want to use. I have to admit - it bothers me. I don't want to have to select ENGLISH. Then, I thought about EBONICS (I think that's what it was called)... The acceptance of 'slanguage'.

I don't think there's a majority of Spanish speaking people in government. The job market (economy) in the country stinks - there are a lot of crappy jobs that exist and likely always will.

This brings me to my thought... Did decision makers decide that making the country bilingual would keep a larger number of people speaking broken English. Thus, creating a long-term caste system of language and wealth.

Instead of the Germans, Italians, Chinese and Japanese asking... "Hey, why isn't OUR language the second language?"... Maybe the Spanish speaking people should say... Don't do us any favors.

2 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

I took Spanish for 3 years in high school and I can't speak a word of it. I remember the bad words, and the sexual things. heh heh. But to speak it properly? Nope.

When I go too fast at the ATM and click the first one which for my ATM is Spanish I always get confused. I've tried to muddle my way through it a few times, but then I always have to hit cancel and start over so I know what I'm doin'. I don't think the bank people would understand my overdrawing my acct. because I didn't understand what I was doing.

2/28/2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger Nukie said...

You're paraniod.

I like the bilingual thing. FIrst of all, I can barely speak and spell english as it is and secondly I like to educate myself in other languages by reading shampoo bottles and the like in english and spanish and french. That way I know what the spanish words for such things as:

"Lather, Rinse, Repeat"

3/01/2007 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home