Monday, October 16, 2006

Not so bad...


Thursday, our area has been hit with heavy snow. Although that isn't unusual... It is unusual for it to occur while the trees still have most of their leaves.

This combination resulted in many trees becoming heavily damaged, and taking power lines down with them. For some, the power went out on Thursday evening, and for some the power is still out.

With electricity being unavailable in many area's, water pumping station problems, blocked streets from trees and electric wires... Many streets are lined with down tree branches, and some streets were blocked by downed trees. Things have been a mess.

The water quality has also been in question. There have been warnings for people to boil the water before drinking it. Nukie learned the hard way, but I hear he feels better now.

I should have taken pictures on Friday, because it was quite surreal... I took some pics that I will try to post later, but you cannot really get a feel for what things were like.

The interesting thing is, you see the affect for something like this, which is really quite a small interruption compared to area's that are hit with tornadoes, hurricanes, major flooding, 9/11, war etc. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to deal with a big catastrophe.

There are people here at work - going wacky because they cannot get their morning coffee.

- Wak

4 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Life is meaningless without caffeine.

10/16/2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Wakanuki said...

Addendum:

I have been working here for 15 years... and that Friday was the first time that I, and the rest of the department I am part of, was basically told not to go to work, but to check in at noon.

At noon, the powers that be... decided that it would be best if we stayed home.

Now today, it was decided that we were ACTUALLY on vacation. I don't normally check in at noon on my vacations.

10/17/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger Nukie said...

It was the coffee that did me in. I made coffee with some water that was left in the pot. It's funny how 12 ounces and 15 minutes of drinking coffee can turn into 4 hours and 3 gallons of liquid coming out of your rear end.

10/17/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I dread winter and the snow.

I can't drive in it. You would think I could, but oh you're wrong. I love how it looks, but hate everything else about it.

It's only a matter of time....

10/22/2006 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home